Transportation to SLO CAL
You’ve chosen San Luis Obispo County as your destination, now let us help you get here. Traveling by bus, plane, car or train is made simple with our easy directions. Whether you’re coming from Los Angeles, San Francisco, Central Valley, out of state or out of the country, we’ve got you covered.
By car - San Luis Obispo County is located mid-way between Los Angeles and San Francisco. Its accessible via U.S. Highway 101, which runs north and south through the heart of the county. From interstate Highway 5, head west to the coast on State Highways 41, 46 or 166. Click Here for current travel conditions.
By plane - The San Luis Obispo County Regional Airport offers direct service to Los Angeles, San Francisco, Phoenix, Seattle and Denver in addition to hundreds of connecting destinations in the U.S. and abroad. Taxis, rental cars and Ride-On Transportation shuttles are available at the airport. Charter jet services are also offered by ACI Jet in San Luis Obispo and Paso Robles.
By train - Amtrak’s Coast Starlight and Pacific Surfliner trains make daily stops at the City of San Luis Obispo Amtrak station, located near downtown. From there, board a SLO RTA bus or arrange for a Ride-On Transportation shuttle. Amtrak also has services that stop at the Grover Beach and Paso Robles stations.
By bus: Greyhound Bus offers daily service from Los Angeles, San Francisco and the San Joaquin Valley to stops throughout San Luis Obispo County.
Current Travel Conditions
Highway 1: Please note that Highway 1 is completely open in SLO CAL and all destinations are open and accessible via Highway 1 from the south. If coming into SLO CAL from the north or traveling north into Monterey County, please be advised of the following:
• Highway 1 is closed 7.5 miles north of Ragged Point (NW SLO County) to 10.3 miles north of Ragged Point at Mud Creek.
• The Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge has reopened to visitors allowing access to Highway 1 in Monterey County as far south as Gorda in southern Big Sur.
• Northbound through-travelers on Highway 1 are encouraged to take Highway 46 East towards Paso Robles as a detour, and proceed to Highway 101 North.
• From Monterey, southbound travelers are encouraged to take Highway 68 East at Monterey, and proceed to Highway 101 South.
• Caltrans provides current Highway 1 updates as well.
Visit SLO CAL will update this page as conditions change.
Once you are here, getting around San Luis Obispo County can be made simpler using our lists of airports, regional transit, and other tours and transportation options. Choose one of the many transportation options below for more information on traveling throughout San Luis Obispo County. Looking for great trip ideas? Check out our Blog and start planning your adventure today!